Monday, January 13, 2014

Life's Leanings #13 Better Enough


I canNOT BE 100% sure of this, I only KNOW it is true:

Better is Better Enough.

Sure, I would expect to BE better at many things by this stage of Life, but I seem ALWAYS and Nevertheless to BE striving for BETTER.

"MORE BETTER" as I recall saying as a little girl.

I love this day. I love what I get to DO and BE in it. 

I remember years, 10, 20, even 30 years ago. Wanting. Feeling inadequate.

'NOT ENOUGH" as I recall thinking as a younger woman.

Now I know that Life is just like this. MayBE it is just for me, mayBE it just is.

What I am BETTER at Right Now is Better Enough.

Whatever I am striving for, wherever I feel I come up short, it's still Better Enough.

Spending time around people far older than I, I can see how this is a healthy philosophy for aging.

Even though one's World can BEcome much smaller and less independent, one still lives and breathes and engages meaningfully in Life.

Sometimes I think BEing older gives me permission to STOP my striving and settle in comfortably.

And to a large extent, larger than I really thought, that IS true for me.

And what is also true is that I still strive. It only "looks" different on the outside. And sometimes feels different, too, on the inside.

I recently read this: Next year I'm going to be better, but today I am the best I can be. I don't know who to attribute it to and yet I am less concerned with DOing an attribution anyway.

Some of the things I thought were essential I Now choose to NOT label thus. They are preferences but NOT essentials.

Though it is only just 13 days into this new year, 2014, I am leaning into the Better Enoughness of Life and of myself.



No comments: